Written by Jamie Etheridge
Dare you or don’t you? Wearing shorts with a suit can be a daringly successful moment for some and a complete disaster for others. Unless you are a mega hip-hop star or hanging out at Pitti Uomo, you might feel a bit weird about the whole short suit trend. But it’s not as difficult as it looks if you follow a few simple rules.
7 Rules for Wearing Short Suits:
- For a first timer, the absolute key is confidence and comfort. Stick with a skinny suit two-button jacket with slim lapel and matching shorts.
- Choose appropriate fabrics. A cotton linen blend of high quality suit fabric is a definite.
- Shorts should be knee length at least. Anything shorter and you should hang out by the pool.
- Add texture and variety with a patterned or colored dress shirt.
- Don’t forget the details but don’t overdo it either. You can skip the necktie but add a pocket square for a touch of sartorial formality. Or wear a great belt and necktie but leave off the tiepin.
- Shoes will make or break your look. Go for loafers, suede derby shoes or deck shoes for casual Fridays. Do not wear boots, trainers or sandals with a short suit.
- Grooming is essential. When going for an ultra cool, urban look like a short suit it pays to pay attention to your grooming.
Celebrities are even starting to rock the ‘short suit’ style on the red carpet. A few of our personal favorites include Matt Lauer, Pharrell Williams, Allen Cumming and Thom Browne.