Holiday season means family gatherings, office parties, evening events and more in spades. Choosing the right suit to suit the occasion – from black tie formal for a night at the opera to backyard barbeques or family Christmas eve gatherings – can be simple and easy with this quick guide.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Formal, semi formal, business or smart casual or simply casual? Dress codes are often mentioned on invitations and attendees should try to stick as closely as possible to what the hosts requests.
- Formal almost always means tuxedo (instances of morning dress or white tie are much less common).
- Semi formal events like charity balls or theatre opening nights typically require black tie which means white dress shirt, black bow tie, evening waistcoat and tuxedo with black formal shoes. These are occasions where a variant like the Knot Standard Madison Midnight Blue Tuxedo may be appropriate. Ask your stylist to help you decide.
- Business casual, semi casual and casual. Wear a blazer or sport coat. Add style and interest with a pocket square and double knit pullover sweater.
- Indoor or outdoor? An outdoor wedding in December will definitely require an overcoat – even a daytime event. Choose the Classic Navy Overcoat to get you through almost all business formal, smart casual or casual events this holiday season.
Are you complimenting your date? If your partner will be wearing a formal evening gown, avoid blue jeans. If she’s in jeans and a sweater, forget the black tie. Complimenting your date as you head out on the town this holiday season is a critical part of having a happy holiday – for both of you.